Thursday, July 24, 2014

Complementary Colors by Adrienne Wilder: Review


Complementary Colors
by Adrienne Wilder

Synopsis

My sister Julia manipulated my life into a prison to keep me silent about our dirty family secret. Her greed made me a slave and circumstance left me with no way to escape.

Trapped, the only way I could silence the nightmares driving me to insanity was to wrap them in color, hold them with shadow, and stitch them to negative space with line.

But no matter how bright the pigments, no one could see my confession.

Except for Roy Callahan.

I thought he was just another nameless one-night stand in a long line of many. 

But I was wrong. Roy could see past the façade of my life and through the veil color over the canvas. He could see what the world couldn’t.

And with him I’d find the courage to tell the truth about the boy.

The boy who kissed me.

The boy who loved me.

The boy whose name I couldn’t remember. 
My Review
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Prepare yourself for a mind bending experience of epic proportions.

Paris Duvoe is trapped within the psychedelic blend of past and present that is his life. Adrienne Wilder immerses readers into his vividly painted world, where words and emotions are translated into colors and sounds.

Pushed to the edge of insanity, Paris meets Roy; his world tilts on its axis, dark colors shift into a swirling blend of warmth, and he is helpless to resist the stunning impact Roy has on his emotions. Paris knows that his life is a horror story, not a fairy tale, and that reaching for happiness could unravel the fragile thread that holds the memories of his past at bay.

Complementary Colors is sensually written and emotionally complex. A delicately balanced and perfectly paced story that caused my breath to catch, set my heart race racing, and brought tears of both sorrow and joy to my eyes.

Caution: Not for the faint of heart, it is a sometimes disturbing tale that includes descriptions of physical and sexual assault that may be triggers for some readers.
View all my reviews

Author Profile
Georgia born and bred, I am an artist, a writer, and a general pain in the ass.

I spend most of my days working on my next book or designing cover art for other writers. For stress relief I do olympic lifting and occasionally run (but hate it). I have been in love with writing since I was very young but it wasn't until recently that I decided to pursue it as a profession. 

I have experimented in several genres and found that since I identify as male, male romance has been the most comfortable for me to write. I don't discriminate in my books. All characters are fair game. I do however, prefer a happy ending at some level. 

I don't write the standard romance book. Some might even argue that what I write isn't romance at all. Personally I think of them as love stories, where even in a fantastical world, there are realistic outcomes to the obstacles the characters face. 

Many of my books have dark turns and twists where the characters fight for the light at the end of the tunnel. I write action, fist fights, gun fights, down right dirty evil people who have to be stopped, things catch fire, blow up, and fall in. My characters come in a unique range. They are not all good guys, but the majority of them have very good hearts. Many of them have been through hell in their lives, and many of them have a laundry list of faults. But hopefully they manage to surprise you with their tenacity and loyalty. 

If all goes well, there will be a myriad of different kinds of books available this year. If I am really lucky, you will enjoy them.


No comments:

Post a Comment