Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Extinct by Nancy Adams: Review, Guest Post & More!

Extinct
by Nancy Adams

Genres: Erotic, Paranormal, Contemporary, Romance
Theo’s sole purpose for the last ninety-eight years was to protect his wolf. That changed the moment he met Drew and the wolf called ‘Mate’.

Carrying the soul of an extinct wolf alongside your own isn’t easy. Swapping into said wolf is even harder. Ask Theo Grey—he’s been doing it for ninety-eight years. Yet, after surviving two world wars, witnessing the space race and patiently enduring the eighties, you’d think he’d have seen it all, but nothing could have prepared him for meeting Tofino’s new vet, Drew O’Bannion and according to the wolf, his mate.

Drew loves her dog, sleeping in and coffee. She also loves being a vet. The main reason behind her accepting the veterinarian practice offered to her from a family friend. Hoping for a slower pace at life Tofino seemed the ideal spot. What she didn’t expect was Officer Theo Grey. Theo is tall, dark and drop dead gorgeous, a definite 10 on the ‘wow’ scale. Regardless of his looks, there is more to Theo, there is her unexpected attraction for him. It’s unnerving and completely out of character for her, but she is able to match Theo’s hungry kiss, for hungry kiss.

With their desire growing at an alarming rate and the threat of an unknown shooter roaming the woods of the coastal town, Theo must face the ultimate decision—let Drew go for her own safety or claim his mate for all time.

Reader Advisory: This story contains scenes of violence and threats of non-consensual sex.
Carly: Today I'm welcoming Nancy Adams to talk a bit about passion! 
Nancy: Thanks for having me today Carly.

Ahhh! Passion. 

When I think of passion, the image of two people engaged in a hot open mouth kiss, frantically pulling at each others clothing pops into my mind. I would assume most romance authors share this same point of view. After all, we are writing about love (most of time) and nothing goes hand in hand better than passion and romance so what else would we associate with it.

Of course, passion is also used when describing ones feelings. For example, ‘I hate books that don’t have any sexy scenes with a passion!’ Which is actually the truth; I really do hate books that have no sex. It’s like eating a cupcake without any icing; it’s just plain old boring. 

In other cases, passion is the object of enthusiasm. For example, some people show their passion for something they enjoy doing such as playing hockey or painting or handcuffing your lover and having steamy sex in a candle lit cabin. Oops! I didn’t mean for that to be a reference to sex but some people really enjoy being handcuffed. Example, in my book EXTINCT my hero Theo is really gung-ho about handcuffing the heroine and making love to her. So really, the reference makes sense. Don’t forget, I write erotic romance, so kinky love is another form of passion just with toys and extra people. LOL

Regardless of what you associate passion with; it’s important that you have a passion. That drive passion gives is good for the soul and mental well-being and it teaches us to lean how to concentrate on something other than ourselves...but not sex apparently...with me anyways.

Cheers!
Sudden enlightenment crossed Tom’s face as he offered his hand in greeting. “Nice to meet you, Dr O’Bannion.” Theo plucked the box from her arms as Tom shook her hand lightly. Then, as though he knew what the wolf wanted, Tom stepped away from her. The wolf gave a satisfied snort and calmed. 

“I’m Chief here in these parts, so if you have any problems, you come find me.” 

“I will, and please, Drew is just fine. I’m not good with all the formal titles.” 

“You got it. Come on.” Tom waved them on. “I’ll show you where you can set up.” 

As Tom led them to the far end of the building, Drew leaned in close, her hand hovering over her mouth. “Do you have any breath mints?” 

“No.” Puzzled, he asked, “Why?” 

“I forgot to brush my teeth after my lunch.” She gave him a worried frown. 

“So?” 

“Didn’t you see the way he backed away from me? There was onion in the pasta sauce I made.” 

Theo laughed. He laughed harder when she scowled back at him. 

In a huff, she moved away from him.

Still smiling, he tucked her box under his arm, then stopped her. He grabbed the side of her rain jacket, then pulled her close. 

“What are you doing?” She pushed against his chest as her breathy words warmed his face. 

Even though he knew Tom had stepped away to appease the wolf, Theo still bent his head close to hers and drew in a deep breath. Ruby was the first odor he detected, followed by basil and parsley, thanks to their strong scents. The next all mixed together—tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, the slightest amount of onion—nothing to really worry about—and finally the pasta and…apples? Apple juice maybe? 

Then a new scent hit him. It was Drew. She was aroused by his close contact. He could smell her damp and honey-sweet fragrance. It was intoxicating. 

He clenched his teeth together, fighting the seductive pull. 

“I don’t smell any onion,” he breathed. “You’re good.”
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Unwillingly chosen to share his body with the soul of a long extinct breed of wolf, Theo has long since outlived his family and friends. Time has taught him that it is much less painful to live his life alone, and though he has a few friends in the small town where he works, it isn't until he meets Drew that the desire to have something more becomes too difficult to resist. Add in the complication that his wolf desires Drew as well, and Theo is left scrambling!

Drew is overwhelmed by her uncharacteristically passionate response to Theo. From the very first moment they meet she can't help but fantasize about the strong and sexy officer. The desire to have him close, and keep him there, is one she has never experienced before and is struggling to understand.

As the danger that threatens the animals of their small community grows to encompass Theo and Drew as well, the two commitment phobic lovers are suddenly faced with the possibility that they may never have the future together that each has only begun to dream of.

EXTINCT is a well written, adventurous and intriguingly unique paranormal romance. The passionate chemistry between Theo and Drew, dynamic supporting characters, beautifully descriptive writing and intriguing action all add up to a thrilling reading experience! I loved the often hilarious way that Theo and his wolf interact, Drew's compassion, and the sensual yet surprisingly tender romance that blooms between these seemingly opposite characters.

I am a full-blooded Canadian, right down to the maple syrup running through my veins. I enjoy watching hockey, but despise skating...and the cold. I enjoy a good helping of Tourtiere with a side of Poutine as must as the next person, yet I am only bilingual when it comes to swear words. I am proud to say I survived my token shot of Newfie Screech, although I did refuse to kiss the Cod - that is never going to happen - and I openly admit, that I fell in love with the Rocky Mountains the first time I saw them. 

I have many occupations written down in my passport, mom, wife, author...zookeeper! However, I have to say that writing is by far the easiest part of my day. 

I have three small -but legal- addictions: bed lines, lavender, and books. All of which, are replenished on a regular basis. Reading into the wee hours of the morning, is one of many bad habits, next to spontaneously rearranging furniture and randomly painting rooms in my house.
Website - Blog -  Twitter

Follow the tour for more chances to win!

8 comments: